Rix Research and Media and the MaTHiSiS Project
Rix Research and Media is involved with the MaTHiSiS project. This article tells about this project, its vision, aims and objectives. Who are involved, and the role of RIX Research and Media.
1. What is the MaTHiSiS project?
MaTHiSiS means Managing affective-learning THrough Intelligent atoms and Smart InteractionS. It is a 36-month project funded by the European Union under the Horizon 2020 work programme. It fall under the topic “ICT-20-2015 Technologies for better human learning and teaching”.
2. What is the vision, aims and objectives of the MaTHiSiS project?
The MaTHiSiS learning vision is to provide a ‘product-system’ for vocational training and mainstream education. The product-system will assist the educational process for learners and their tutors and caregivers by creating a novel and continuously adaptable “robot/machine/computer”-human interaction ecosystem to enhance vocational training, workplace learning and mainstream education for individuals with or without learning disabilities.
This product-system will consists of an integrated platform, along with a set of re-usable learning components (educational material, digital educational artefacts etc.), which will respond to the needs of a future educational framework—as drawn by the call—and provide capabilities for:
- adaptive learning,
- automatic feedback,
- automatic assessment of learner’s progress and behavioural state,
- affective learning and
- game-based learning.
- To enter learning environments and make use of computing devices in learning in a more interactive way, which will provide a product-system to be used in formal, non-formal and informal education.
- To introduce and validate an ecosystem for assisting learners/tutors/caregivers for both regular learners and learners with special needs using 5 cases: Autism Spectrum Case (ACS), Profound and Multiple Learning Disabilities Case (PMLDC), Mainstream Education Case (MEC), Industrial Training Case (ITC) and Career Guidance Distance Learning Case (CGDLC).
- To introduce an innovative structural tool of learning graphs to guide learners through the process of learning in given scenarios.
- To make use of a range of interaction devices, such as specialized robots, mobile devices and whiteboards to ensure barrier free integration of MaTHiSiS in the market.
3. Who are involved?
Atos Spain will coordinate the MaTHiSiS consortium. The consortium consists of 18 beneficiary organizations from 9 different collaborating Member States. These are Spain, France, Greece, UK, Netherlands, Belgium, Italy, Lithuania and Germany.
4. What is the role of RIX Research and Media in the MaTHiSiS project?
The role of RIX Research and Media in the MaTHiSiS project is to work collaboratively with a number of organisations on two use cases:
- The Profound and Multiple Learning Disabilities Case (PMLDC). Nine organisations will collaborate in this aspect of the MaTHiSiS project. This will involve learners, teachers and facilities in the UK, Italy and Spain.
- The Autistic Spectrum Case (ASC). Ten organisations will collaborate in this aspect of the MaTHiSiS project. This will also involve learners, teachers and facilities in the UK, Italy and Spain.
In these use cases, the MaTHiSiS platform will be tested on different operational environments and cover diverse user needs. The educational settings upon which the platform will be tested have been carefully chosen based on a number of important factors e.g. personalized learning provision and enabling social integration of people with special needs and disabilities.
We here at RIX are excited about the MaTHiSiS project and our involvement in it. To find out more please visit the project website: http://www.mathisis-project.eu/